Juanita Cabeza de Baca (1849-51 to 1888-1900) and Théodore Fabrice Henry Gaussoin (1841-1913)
Théodore Gaussoin (picture courtesy of Sandrine Faure Brosson)

Juanita Cabeza de Baca and Théodore Gaussoin were the parents of Lucy Gaussoin, the second wife of Alfredo Delgado y Garcia de la Mora, widowed.

Théodore Fabrice Henry Gaussoin was the son of Justine Josephine Eugénie Couteaux and Eugène Narcisse Gaussoin.

Eugène Narcisse Gaussoin's father was Pierre Charles Gaussoin (son of Etienne François Gaussoin and Marie Louise Versule Laube) and his mother was Elisabeth Sperandine Larpenteur. Pierre Charles Gaussoin was the principal of a secondary school in Fontainebleau in France, then Professor à L'Athénée Royale in Brussels, Belgium. Pierre and Elisabeth had these children:

1. Elizabeth Françoise (Fanny) was born at 4 pm on the 16th of Thermidor, year 11 of the Republic married Guasco. She died in Volvic, France at the age of 89 years on January 22, 1892 (that means she was born in about 1796).

2. Fabrice Charles was born April 6, 1799 in Pithiviers, Loiret, France. He married Adèle Couteaux. He died from a long and painful illness on April 29, 1881 in Brussels. They had a daughter Marie who was born on October 23, 1860 and died April 19, 1876 and a son Jules, born on February 15, 1841 in Pithiviers, France. He married Sarah Emma Hendricks on January 6, 1875 in Russell, Virginia and died on October 26, 1909 in Nampa, Idaho. They had children Charles Hendricks Gaussoin and Florence Agnes Gaussoin (this information was posted on familysearch.org by Kay Lynn Mathews, 2202 Fleming Rd., Valparaiso, Indiana, 46383).

4. Eugène Narcisse was born July 5, 1812 in Liège, Belgium. On December 26, 1840, he married Justine Josephine Eugénie Couteaux in Brussels. In 1850, they traveled from Antwerp to New York on a boat named Fanny, the Captain's name was Schottey, (for information about their crossing see: http://home.scarlet.be/gallez.nic/Georgia/Civilians/EugeneGAUSSOIN.htm) According to this document, on June 29, 1850, Eugène Gaussoin, residing rue du Palais in Ixelles, wrote that after serving for twenty years in the artillery, most recently as Capitaine Commandant, he resigned to emigrate to the United States with his family which, with the personnel he is taking, is composed of six people, five of which are children. It was his intention to settle in one the southern states.

The 1860 U. S. Federal Census found the family living in Polk County, Tennessee. Eugene is given as a Civil Engineer living with his wife Eugenia and children Eliza 16, Louisa 13, in school, and Theodore 19, Assistant at Hiwassen Mine, all born in Belgium, and a second household composed of Alexander Trippel, a 30 year old Mineralogist born in Sweden and Malinda Trippel, a 17 year old born in Belgium. Later census takers found the family living in Las Animas, Colorado and New Mexico.

According to The People of El Valle written by Olibama Lopez Tushar, (Pueblo CO: El Escritorio, 1975, 1992, pp. 22-24), there "was no successful colonization of Colorado until the middle of the nineteenth century…. Around 1832 or 1833 a town…. was settled by some people from New Mexico, who brought cattle, sheep and goats…. In 1842 several families from Taos built homes… but were wiped out by the Indians in 1854…. On Christmas Eve or Christmas day in 1854 the Utes, led by Chief Tierra Blanca, massacred seventeen people in the fort, all of whom were Mexicans…. Early in the morning of December 24 or December 25 the Utes came to Marcelina Baca's place. One of Baca's herders, 19 year old Felipe Cisneros, caught sight of them approaching and hid in the bushes. The next to spot them was José Barela, who warned the others, including Marcelino Baca, but to no avail, as the Utes ran off Baca's stock and then headed for the fort, Chief Blanca riding Baca's best mare. As they approached the fort, Romaldo Cordova, believing that the Indians were friendly, convinced Benito (Sandoval) to let them in, preventing him from shooting Blanca. The Indians ran through the fort, killing everyone, except the two boys Felix (Sandoval) and Ignacio (probably Isidro Sandoval) whom they took captive. They also took Chepita (Miera) captive, but killed her later…. Between 1864 and 1869 others came and settled in the area, many of them from the San Luis Valley. Among these were: Montés Vigil, Evaristo Gonzales, Antonio Maria Gonzales, Gabriel Vigil, Agapito Montoya, José Martinez, and Carmel Martin. In 1860 Pedro Valdez and Felipe Baca, while hauling flour from Mora, New Mexico to the Denver gold fields, traveled through the Purgatoire Valley. They decided this would be a good place to settle, so brought back twelve families to the present site of Trinidad. Soon, others came and founded towns in the area. Another area settled by families from New Mexico in the middle to late 1800's was the isolated valley at the extreme corner of Las Animas County."

According to La Gente, Hispano History and Life in Colorado, Vincent C. de Baca (ed.) (Denver: Colorado Historical Society, 1998, p. xv), "In 1862, wealthy New Mexican Felipe Baca and twelve compatriot families… established the town of Trinidad as a farming and commercial venture. In the waning years of the Santa Fe Trail, Baca and other Hispanic merchants profited from their location between New Mexico, the eastern railheads, and the Denver goldfields. These mercantile capitalists were able to transport crops, livestock, and lumber within the regional market. As a result of Hispano initiative, the U.S. Territorial Census of 1870 determined that 'ninety percent of the 6,400 residents' in Las Animas and Huerfano counties had direct or indirect ties to New Mexico. At the time, Anglo-Americans casually referred to Trinidad as the largest 'Mexican' town in Colorado."

Eugène Gaussoin, born July 5, 1812 in Liège, Belgium served in the Colorado Senate from 1876-1880, from the city of West Las Animas, Bent County, Colorado. He was a Democrat and a Mining Engineer. He died April 23, 1881 at Nine Mile Bottom, Park, Colorado. Eugénie Joséphine Gaussoin is buried in Higbee Cemetery, Colorado. Her dates on the tombstone are illegible.

In the Miscellaneous Records of the Family Papers at the NM State Archives, there are a number of documents for Eugène Narcisse Gaussoin. According to them he was born in Liège, Belgium in July 1812 to Pierre and Sperandine Gaussoin. He was in the military, Captain of the 2nd regiment of Artillery (1841), Chevalier of the Order of Leopold (1847), Croix de Fer, Capitaine Commandant. He resigned in 1850.

Françoise Gaussoin Guasco, Eugène's sister, kept letters sent from Colorado. Her descendant Sandrine sent me part of a letter from Bishop Macheboeuf, Bishop of Denver, in which he describes the family's life in Colorado. He writes (my translation):

"I very especially know Mr E. Gaussoin. He was named a member of the convention to form the Constitution of the State of Colorado and since Colorado was admitted as a State, Mr Gaussoin was name Senator. During his time in Denver, he often came to see me, dined with me several times and helped me a great deal at the legislature. He is very well thought of by the Americans and many of his speeches have been printed. During my last voyage, finding myself in southeastern Colorado, I went to pay him a visit, counting on going the same evening 3 or 4 miles away to visit a small colony of Catholics, but it was impossible for me to go farther. He was so insistent that the Jesuit priest accompanying me on the voyage had to stop. We therefore had our meals in his home and spent the night at the home of his son, who is my closest neighbor and whom I have know for a long time, having married him to a Mexican girl. I therefore let the Catholics in the neighboring area know and the next day we said the mass in his home. It was the beautiful day of the Immaculate Conception. I am very happy to be able to give good news of Mr Gaussoin to our dear cousin Mr Brosson and this family. They live more than 200 miles from Denver on the banks of a beautiful little river that the Mexicans call Las Animas. They have a very beautiful farm, houses surrounded by trees, but they only cultivate a very small part. They do a great deal of business trading in animals, which is much more certain and lucrative than cultivating the farm. I cannot exactly say where the post office is where he receives his letters, being about 100 miles from Trinidad and about 39 miles from the little town of Las Animas, but I am going to write him through the Jesuit fathers in charge of those missions and will give him the pleasant news that we are practically relatives, at least in terms of affinity. If Mr Brosson or Mrs Guasco wish to write to him, I will see that the letter reaches him by sending in care of me.

About Eugene's and Justine's children:

1. Théodore Fabrice Henry Gaussoin born in July 1841 in Belgium. On November 30, 1870 at Holy Trinity Church, Trinidad, Colorado, he married Juanita Cabeza de Baca, who is said to have been born in about 1849, in Peña Blanca NM. They were married by Bishop Macheboeuf, a friend of the family. I have obtained their marriage record from the parish. It is in Latin. It says that Theodore Gaussoin, son of Eugene Gaussoin, married Juana Baca, daughter of Vict. Baca. It is said that Théodore was somewhat rejected by the family because he married a Mexican at Las Animas, Colorado. He died November 1913 in Wagon Mound, San Miguel County, New Mexico. For more about Théodore and Juanita, see below.

2. Elise Augustine Charlotte Gaussoin was born April 13, 1844, in Ixelles, Brussels, Belgium. She married Henry Joseph Carlier in Floyd, Georgia in 1868. Reuben Tillery Atkins on February 8, 1877 in Higbee, Bent, Colorado. She died February 20, 1900 in Prairie Pointe, Missouri.

3. Louise, born May 3, 1847 in Ixelles, Brussels, Belgium


The 1860 U. S. Federal Census for Polk County, Tennessee

Eugene, Civil Engineer, 45 years old, born in Belgium

Eugenia, his wife, 40 years old, born in Belgium

Theodore, 19 years old, born in Belgium

Eliza, 16 years old, born in Belgium

Louisa, 13 years old, born in Belgium

Alexander Trippel, a 30 year old Mineralogist born in Sweden

Malinda Trippel, a 17 year old born in Belgium

"Malinda" Trippel seems to be the Mathilde Gaussoin of the following obituary:

For half a century the labors of Dr. Alexander Trippel, who died at the Astor House, New York City, November 26, 1896 contributed materially to wealth and knowledge in the realms of mineralogy and chemistry, and his name and faire will long live, more especially in the annals of Arizona where his last wars were spent, and where the ripe experience of a long and useful career was exercised in its fullest extent. To his genius Arizona is deeply indebted, for through his agency her immense mineralogical wealth became more thoroughly established than ever before, and until the messenger of death came to him he enthusiastically endeavored to forward all of the interests of the territory. Dr. Trippel was named in honor of a distinguished relative-Alexander Trippel. a celebrated sculptor of Switzerland. The great artist's bust of his old friend. Goethe, was characterized hr Bayard Taylor as the most perfect work of sculpture extant. The subject of this article was born January 25, 1827 at Schaffhausen, Switzerland, and while yet a mere child had shown marked talents in the direction of geology, mineralogy, chemistry and allied branches. Methodical in all his habits, he kept a complete record of events in which he participated throughout life, but, most unfortunately these diaries and accounts were accidentally destroyed by fire a few years ago, and thus much valuable information in regard to him and his work has been placed beyond the reach of the public. Having completed a severe course in the renowned universities of Germany and having received the degree of doctor of philosophy, he came to the United States about the time of the gold discoveries in California. As soon as possible he became a naturalized citizen of this republic, and thenceforth used his franchise on behalf of the Democratic party. For a number of years Dr. Trippel had his office and headquarters in New York City, and frequently a visitor to his rooms was confronted with the simple legend, written upon a card and tacked to the door, "Gone to South America" [or some other remote locality], "will soon return." ("Soon"-perhaps within a month or a year, as the case might be.) For some time he was associated with the Belgian chemist and geologist, Prof. Eugene Gaussoin. Employed to superintend the erection of works at Bergen Point. N.J. he there put into operation his improved methods for the manufacturing of flour of sulphur, which made his name known far and wide. Between the years of 1858 and 1863 he was connected with the great enterprise of smelting the copper-ores of the Ducktown (Tenn.) region. The particularly refractory sulphides with which he had to deal, and his pronounced success, brought fresh honors to his feet, and thus, year by year, he steadily advanced in his chosen field of effort. In 1864 he built the zinc-rolling mills at Bethlehem, Pa., and there introduced valuable improvements. At length Dr. Trippel came to the west, and, after spending a period in iron and zinc mining in Arkansas and Missouri began his researches and labors in the trans-Rocky mountain region. In Idaho and Ione, Nev., he erected silver mills, in the last-named place employing the system of the lixiviation of silver ores, in the interests of the Knickerbocker Mining Company. Dating from 1872 he was superintendent of the Manhattan Silver mills. at Austin, Nev., and in 1878 was placed at the head of the Danville (Nev.) silver mills. From 1879 to 1881 he was the metallurgist of the Morey mines, of the same state; then was sent to Lower California, where he made investigations in the copper district near Boleo, and made a comprehensive report upon the subject. In 1882 he went to Santa Clara. Cuba, where he was the general manager of copper mines for a short time. Coming to Arizona in 1883, Dr. Trippel became the metallurgist of the Old Dominion Copper Mining Company, at Globe, and was made superintendent of the same in 1884. Under his able management that concern retrieved its fortunes, for immense sums of money had been expended, to little purpose. He discovered rich treasures of the valued ore and in spite of the great cost of transportation of coke and the products of the mill, placed the company on a paying financial basis. In 1888 he resigned his position, in order to embark in mining operations, but within a year took charge of the development of the Arivaipa silver-lead mines, in Graham county, Ariz., and later was induced to accept the superintendency of the Buffalo Copper Mining Company, at Globe, whose affairs were in a depressed condition, owing to the limited amount and refractory nature of the ores with which they were dealing. Quite as a matter of course, the Doctor soon discovered greater and much better ore deposits, and brought the company's affairs into a sound condition. In 1893 he became superintendent of the Phoenix Gold Mining Company, at Care Creek, Maricopa county, but soon resigned in order to embark in a distinct departure. Having become convinced of the great natural wealth of the Salt River valley in the realm of horticulture, he planted an extensive almond orchard near Mesa, and planned to devote the remainder of hiss life to the quiet routine of a country existence. The habits of more than half a century, however, proved too binding, and with renewed enthusiasm he returned to them, becoming superintendent of the Rosemont Copper Company, in Pinal county, Ariz., and continuing with the same until his death directly occasioned by a severe cold and consequent pneumonia, contracted while in New York City on a business errand for his company. By all of his associates Dr. Trippel was deemed genial, generous and upright. In 1883 he was made a member of the board of experts of the Bureau of Mines of New York City, and the fact that he was chosen as a trustee of this organization was, in itself, a sincere tribute to his ability, as numbered among the society were men famous in the science of minerals and mining. From time to time his systematic reports of his researches and discoveries rendered to the director of the United States Mint, and to various societies and journals in which he was interested, increased his fame. Few of his acquaintances knew of the accomplishments and scholarly attainments of this quiet, unassuming scientist. Master of several languages and a true lover of literature and music, the genius of his great sculptor-uncle was manifested none the less truly in him that it appeared in another form. While a resident of Nevada he and a musical friend discovered the talent of Miss Emma Wixom (now the celebrated Emma Nevada), organized for her the first concert in which she participated (at Austin, Nev.) and persuaded her rather to send her abroad for the musical education which resulted in her successful operatic career. In his religious faith the Doctor was an Episcopalian. His mortal remains were consigned to their last repose in the Moravian cemetery, at New Dorp, Staten Island. Besides the hosts of friends who mourn his loss are the three children of the Doctor. His wife, who is now living in Staten Island, N. Y ., bore the maiden name of Matilda Gaussoin, and in her youth received a liberal education in Europe. Her father, Auguste Gaussoin, was born in Brussels, Belgium and is noted as the composer of the music for the poems of Lamartine and Béranger. After his death, his family came to the United States and for some years dwelt in Georgia. Source: Portrait and biographical record of Arizona : commemorating the achievements of citizens who have contributed to the progress of Arizona and the development of its resources, Chicago: Chapman Pub. Co., 1901, 1024 pp.

The 1870 Census shows Bent County, Colorado shows:

Theodore, a Farmer-Grazer, age 29 (born about 1841)

Juana, Housekeeper, age 19 (born about 1851). She couldn't read or write (English presumably)

1. Eugenio, born in Colorado in February 1870, 4 months

The 1880 Colorado Census shows:

Reuben A. Atkins, head of a household. His wife is Elise A. C. Atkins. Louise Gaussoin, 32 years old, single, born in Belgium in 1848, father and mother born in Belgium, single; is given as living in this household.

Wilbur Sibley is the head of a household in which lives Eugene Gaussoin, born in Belgium in 1813, 67 years old, Mining Engineer, widowed, father and mother born in France, Golden, Jefferson County, Colorado.

And this household in Bent County, Colorado

Theodore Gaussoin, born in 1842, age 38 years, stock grower, his father and mother born in Belgium.

Juanita, (Jeannette) born 1849, NM, age 31, her father and mother born in NM, keeping house, wife of Theodore Gaussoin.

1. Eugene A., born 1870, 10 years old, schoolboy, in Colorado, father born in Belgium, mother born in NM.

2. Ida A., born 1878, 2 years old, father born in Belgium, mother born in NM.

The 1900 Census for Los Alamitos, San Miguel County, New Mexico has:

Theodore Gaussoin (spelled Gaussam, Gaesson, Gasessan), head of the household, 58 years old, born July 1841 in Belgium, his father and his mother born in Belgium, immigrated in 1850. He is widowed. His children are:

1. Ida, 21 years old, born June 1878 in Colorado

2. Camilla, 18 years old, born August 1881 in Colorado

3. Edward, 16 years old, born May 1884 in New Mexico

4. Lucy, 12 years old, born December 1887 in New Mexico, her father born in Belgium and her mother born in New Mexico.

Eugene Gaussoin, head of household, 30 years old, born February 1870 in Colorado

Virginia W., 25 years old, his wife, born January 1875, father born in Massachusetts, mother born in New Mexico. She has had 4 children, two of which are living.

1. Guadalupe, 4 years old, daughter born April 1896 in New Mexico

2. Catarina, 2 years old, daughter born January 1898 in New Mexico

Théodore Fabrice Henry Gaussoin (1841-1913) and Juanita Cabeza de Baca (abt. 1851-abt. 1888-1900)

Théodore Fabrice Henry Gaussoin was born July 1841, Brussels, Belgium. He married Juanita Cabeza de Baca. According to her daughter's death certificate (informant Alfredo Delgado), Juanita was born in Peña Blanca, NM. She might be thought to be the daughter of Juana Cabeza de Baca born on May 27, 1867 to Francisco Crestina Cabeza de Baca and Martina Delgado, daughter of Juan Pablo Delgado (the uncle of Juanita's son-in-law Alfredo Delgado) and his first wife Irenea Nolan (daughter of the French couple Gervasio Nolan and Maria Dolores Lalande), but this could not be since that Juana Cabeza de Baca (born about 1849-1851) was about the same age as Martina Delgado (born 1847). Moreover, Juana married Theodore in 1870. So she could not have been born in 1867. In any case there are some discrepancies in the dates that need to be worked out. For example, was Eugene A. really born 9 months before his parent's marriage?

Fabiola Cabeza de Baca de Gilbert tells of how after marrying Tomas Cabeza de Baca in 1852, at about the time Juanita was born, my great-great aunt Estefana Delgado (Fabiolas's grandmother) went to live in the Cabeza de Baca ancestral home in Peña Blanca, but was not happy there. The life was different from that she had known. She missed the carefree life she had known in Los Cerrillos where she road horseback, swam in the big pond, went on long walks. Her five married sisters-in-law lived nearby. Fabiola describes them as "ladies of leisure dressed in satins and tafettas adorned with jewels from the time they arose until bedtime." Besides church, they passed their time visiting and playing cards. They had Indian slaves, which Fabiola says they "ruled with an iron hand". In contrast there were never Indian slaves in the Delgado household and when Estefana was given an Indian girl "to the horror of her sisters-in-law, she let the girl run away."

The book, El Gringo: or New Mexico and her People, by W. W. H. Davis (New York: Harper and Brothers, 1857, pp. 338-40) has this description of Peña Blanca in those days. He writes:

"I started for Peña Blanca, where the court for the county of Santa Ana was to meet that day. The distance is twenty-five miles, and I started with a single companion. We followed the main road some six miles, when we turned to the right into a bridle-path, a nearer way for horsemen. A ride of an hour and a half brought us to a mesa that lay in our route, at least two hundred feet above the valley. The slope rises at an angle of about forty-five degrees, and is covered with loose blocks of amygdaloidal trap rock, as black as night and hard as adamant. This mesa system is one of the remarkable features in the physical formation of New Mexico, and worthy the attention of the scientific. In this case, while riding over a plain, you come to another plain that rises up before you some two hundred feet, with an ascent so steep as to be impassable except at one or two points, and in all parts of the country we find such formations. The overlying rock of the slope is different in character from any other seen in that vicinity.

We dismounted and led our horses up the zigzag path, when, once upon the top, we mounted again and rode onward. The plain above is some five miles in width, and almost as level as a board. The atmosphere was as clear as a bell, and there seemed hardly any limit to the distance we could see with the naked eye. We galloped across the plain, and as we approached the western side the valley of the Del Norte opened to our view, and in the distance we could see the river glittering in the sun. We found the opposite side of the plain bounded by the same slope as where we had ascended, but of greater length, and steeper. The descent was both difficult and dangerous, and in some places it required great care on the part of our animals to descend without falling. Here there are three separate slopes before we reach the valley below, being separated by small plateau of a few hundred yards in width. Having arrived safely at the foot of the last descent, we mounted and rode forward to our place of destination.

Peña Blanca is but an insignificant Mexican village, built in the valley of the Del Norte, about half a mile from the river bank. Two or three large landowners reside here, and have respectable dwellings, while the balance of the houses are the rude mud huts of their peones. I made my quarters at the house of Don Tomas Cabeza de Baca, one of the ricos of the place, who lives surrounded with a throng of peones somewhat after the manner of the feudal lords of the Middle Ages. Dismounting at the main entrance of the corral which encloses the whole establishment, I resigned my horse to the care of a servant, and followed the lead of Don Tomas into the dwelling. Crossing a large court-yard, we ascended a flight of steps to the second story, and landed upon a portal looking toward the placita. Thence we passed through a large hall into a smaller room, which, I was politely informed, was at my disposal. The apartment was a plain one. A single bed stood in one corner, and several mattresses were rolled up along the wall for seats; a rough pine table and bench stood at the foot of the bed, and the earthen floor was without carpet or rug. Along the south front of the building extends a portal overlooking a large garden and vineyard, affording a fine view of the valley and the river.

It was about noon when I arrived, and I had hardly finished my toilet when dinner was announced. The meal was a true Mexican dinner, and a fair sample of the style of living among the better class of people. The advance guard in the course of dishes was boiled mutton and beans, the meat being young and tender, and well flavored. These were followed by a sui generis soup, different from any thing of the kind it had been my fortune to meet with before. It was filled with floating balls about the size of a musket bullet, which appeared to be a compound of flour and meat. Next came mutton stewed in chili (red peppers), the dressing of which was about the color of blood, and almost as hot as so much molten lead. This is a favorite article of food with the Mexicans, and they partook of it most bountifully. I tasted all the dishes that were placed before me, out of respect to the host, and in so doing laid aside all epicurean scruples, and the fear of being burned up alive. We were again served with stewed beans, and the repast was concluded."

Juanita and Theodore were married by Bishop Macheboeuf on November 30, 1870 at Holy Trinity Church, Trinidad, Las Animas County, Colorado. I have obtained their marriage record from the parish. It is in Latin. It says that Theodore Gaussoin, son of Eugene Gaussoin, married Juana Baca, daughter of Vict. Baca. Théodore died November 1913 in Wagon Mound, San Miguel County, New Mexico.

Théodore's and Juanita's children were:

1. Eugène A., was born February 15, 1870 in Las Animas, Colorado.

2. Ida Alice, born June 13, 1878 in Trinidad, Las Animas County, Colorado. Holy Trinity Parish sent me her baptismal certificate. It's in Latin. It reads: Guassoin, 3 Aug. 1880, Ego infrascriptus baptizavi Idam Alicem Gaussoin natam die decimo tertia Junii A. D. 1878, ex Theodore Gaussoin, ex loco Nine Miles Bottom, et Maria Joanna Cabeza de Baca, ex loco // conjugibus, Patrini fuerunt Joannes Antonius Gallegos et Ma Emmanuela Griego.

3. Camille, born August 21, 1881, Higbee, Colorado married Alejandro Wallace August 18, 1902, Sapello, NM. She died February 20, 1964, Las Vegas, NM.

4. Edward Arthur, born May 4, 1884, Las Vegas NM, married Jeannette Louise Baca June 28, 1908 in Watrous, Mora County, died in Hobbs NM in 1946 (however, he does not appear on the New Mexico Death Index). They had a son Edmond G., born February 14, 1921, Watrous, Mora County, NM, who married Dena Smet, died June 19, 1998, Santa Fe; daughters Louise Jeannette, born January 31, 1913, Watrous, NM, died July 30, 1978, Texas and Theresa Jacqueline.

5. Lucy, born December 17, 1888, in Los Alimos, San Miguel County, NM, Married Alfredo Delgado y Garcia de la Mora, died in Santa Fe in 1921. See below.

Eugene A. Gaussoin y Cabeza de Baca (1870-1940) and Virginia Helen Wilson (1875-1957)

Eugene A Gaussoin was born February 15, 1870 in Las Animas, Colorado. He married Virginia Helen Wilson, August 30, 1894 in Mesilla NM. He died May 16, 1940 in Santa Fe. She died on December 18, 1957 in San Joaquin, CA at the age of 82.

1. Guadalupe, born April 4, 1897, Las Animas, married Tobias Luis Maes in December 1926, Raton NM, died December 14, 1974. She was buried in National Cemetery on December 16. He died in Mora County, NM. They had three children: Eugene, Maria Corrine, and Nora.

2. Kathryn, born January 19, 1899, Joya Larga, San Miguel County, NM, married Juan Balentine Moya, April 17, 1922, in Wagon Mound, NM died March 10, 1944. According to her death certificate Kate Gaussoin Moya was born January 19, 1899 in Joya Larga, San Miguel County, Her father was Eugene Gaussoin, born in Las Animas, Colorado and her mother was Virginia Wilson, born in Mesilla, Doña Ana County, New Mexico. She was female, white and married. Her husband's name was Juan Moya who was 59 years old. She was a self-employed domestic. She died on March 10, 1944 at 2.30 p.m. at the age of 45 years, 1 month and 21 days at 705 Marquita St in the city of Santa Fe, which was her usual residence. She had lived in Santa Fe County for 12 years. The informant was J. B. Moya of the same address. The cause of death was coronary thrombosis, from which she had suffered for 20 moths. It was due to chronic myocarditis, which she had suffered from for 5 years. The disease was contracted in Santa Fe. She was buried in Guadalupe cemetery on March 14, 1944.

3. Estella, born February 6, 1901, Watrous, Mora County, NM, died May 10, 1979.

4. Eugene O., born January 27, 1909, NM, married Mary Moreno Coronado, died September 9, 1998, San Diego.

5. Blanche, born August 1, 1914, Santa Fe, married Ruben Cornelio Longoria in Santa Fe on October 25, 1939, died January 25, 1987 in Stockton, CA

6. Harry Henry, born May 8, 1917, NM, died November 19, 1970 San Diego.

According to his death certificate, Eugene Gaussoin died at home at 714 Marquita Street in Santa Fe on May 16, 1940 at 11:30 am. He was a section man for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. The name of his wife was Virginia Gaussoin and she was the informant. Her age is not given. Eugene's birth date is give as February 15, 1870 and his age at death as 70 years and 3 months. His birthplace is Las Animas, Colorado. His father is given as Theodore Gaussoin born in France and his mother as Juanita C. de Baca born in New Mexico. He was buried in Guadalupe cemetery on May 18, 1940. The cause of death was chronic myocardial failure over a 6-7 year time.

Lucy Gaussoin y Cabeza de Baca (1888-1921) and Alfredo Delgado y Garcia de la Mora (1879-1929)

Lucy Gaussoin y Cabeza de Baca, daughter of Théodore Gaussoin and Juanita Cabeza de Baca married Alfredo Delgado, a widower, in 1917. They had a daughter Stella.

On the 1920 census for Santa Fe (ED no. 129, no. 10), Alfredo is Deputy U. S. Marshall and 40 years old. Lucy is 31 and is listed as having been born in Belgium and having Flemish as her mother tongue. Stella is 11 months old. They are living at 205 Dunlop Street. Alfredo's daughter by Catalina Garcia de Noriega y Larragoite, listed as Mary Margaret, is given as living with them. Never mind that she seems to be listed as 11 years old.

A son, Alfred Theodore Delgado was born to them on December 10, 1920, but was premature and died at 8 am on the same day at the age of 5 hours. According to his death certificate, his address was 205 Dunlop in Santa Fe. His father was Alfredo Delgado born in Santa Fe and Lucy Gaussoin born in Los Alimos. The cause of death is listed as premature birth. He was buried in Rosario Cemetery on December 10, 1920.

According to her death certificate Lucy Gaussoin Delgado died in her home in Santa Fe at 205 Dunlop Street at 7:30 pm on March 5, 1921 at the age of 33 and 20 months and 16 days. She was a female, Spanish, married housewife married to Alfredo Delgado and had lived in Santa Fe for 3 years and 2 months. She had been born on December 17, 1888 in Los Alimos, San Miguel County, NM to Eugene Gaussoin, born in France, and Juanita Cabeza de Baca, born in Peña Blanca, NM. The cause of death was an incomplete, spontaneous abortion and infection, pregnancy coming about 8 weeks following a labor. She had been ill for 16 days. The informant was Alfredo Delgado. She was buried in Rosario Cemetery on March 8, 1921. This death certificate is different from the census that presents her as a Flemish speaking Belgian.

I have a death certificate for Stella D. Armijo. According to it she was born on February 9, 1919 to Alfredo Delgado, born in Santa Fe, New Mexico and Lucy Guasan, born in Los Alamos, New Mexico. Her usual place of residence was 807 Dunlap Street in Santa Fe. She was female, white and married to Alex J. Armijo, who was still alive (see his obituary below). She was a housewife. She died at the age of 29 years, 3 months and 13 days. S. W. Presbyterian San. on Albuquerque on May 23, 1948 at 7:30 am after 43 days hospitalization. She died of far advanced pulmonary tuberculosis, bilateral, larynges tuberculosis and she suffered from myocarditis. She had been ill since 1937. She contracted the disease in New Mexico. The informant was Records, S.W. Presbyterian

According to his death certificate, Alfredo died in Santa Fe at 2:15 am on June 21, 1929 of chronic cystitis, with syphilis being given as the secondary contributory cause. He had been born in Santa Fe on July 17, 1879 and was 49 years, 11 months and 26 days old at the time of his death. His physician attended him from May 15th to June 21 and last saw him alive on June 19, 1929. His parents were Felipe Delgado, born in Cerrillos and Benenia Garcia, born in Santa Fe. He was a retired U. S. Deputy Marshall. He was married to Josephine Delgado. He resided at 809 Dunlop St. and was buried in Rosario Cemetery Santa Fe on June 23, 1929.

Obituary for Alfredo Delgado

Alfredo Delgado, member of the prominent Delgado family of this city, and for eight years a deputy U. S. Marshal, well known as a horseman and stockgrower, died last night after a long illness, at the age of 50 years. He died at this home, 809 Dunlap Street, surrounded by members of his family.

Mr. Delgado was a native of Santa Fe and lived here all his life. He had many friends here and throughout the state who will mourn his death.

Mr. Delgado leaves a widow, Mrs. Josephine Delgado, two daughters, Margaretta and Stella, and two sons, Freddie and Arthur Edward. He leaves also four step-sons and two step-daughters. He leaves also one brother Emilio Delgado and one sister, a nun, known in religion as Sister Gertrude of Loretto convent.

A requiem mass will be celebrated at 8 a.m. tomorrow, Saturday, the Guadalupe church and interment will be on Sunday afternoon in Rosario cemetery. The funeral cortege will leave the Delgado residence on Dunlap street at 1:30 p.m. C. A. Rising & Company has charge of the funeral arrangements.

Obituary for Alex Armijo (his first wife was Stella Delgado y Gaussoin de Armijo)


Alex J. Armijo born in Santa Rosa, New Mexico May 1, 1916. There are no words to describe the past six years that have passed since Alex left us on May 16, 1997. Sixteen days after his birthday, he left us with a special understanding, honesty, what he said, what he did and what he stood for.

There is no tribute, which will ever plumb the depth of Alex's courage. The devotion to his family and most of all, the process by which he transformed those around him. I learned that there are different kinds of tears; hidden tears of regret leaving wounds which may never heal. Honest tears of anguishes of someone dear reveal wounds which will not only heal but will strengthen character. Our dad taught us how to stand and pass on his courage and honesty. If we are to make our lives worthwhile we owe an eternal debt to our dad for his steadfast love and support.

Alex was a good man. He understood that the test of political genius lies in the hard work of building constituencies and forge them into sustainable electoral majorities-something he did quietly but with power by the glare or arouse admiration with brilliant qualities. He expanded his sense of who and what he was. Alex appreciated different sayings and savored the wisdom expressed in their words. His love for words made him a remarkable tease me not. He loved his jokes and the wisdom he gained from them. It is an incredible story Alex had. He lead himself to where he was today. His compassion was born out of gratitude for his struggle. He cared what happened to people. He held us accountable for our struggles. If our struggle was personal, he was there. Fully human he extended his compassion to hear our deepest fears. He knew rage and anger. He knew anxiety. He became fully present to the hurt, the anger and the existential loneliness.

Alex Armijo is free from the struggle and his legacy lives on in us. We must not destroy or tear down what breath dad has given each and every one of us. Decide for yourself, has he been there for us? I answered this question. I knew a man, he built his life not around himself, but his family. He was an unselfish man. Somehow he raised six children. All of these feelings and emotions will give all of us the strength and the courage to move forward-to move on with our own lives. He loved cooking his green chile. His desire was to please others. He was an affable man; He found enjoyment expressing himself in joking, for this he will surely be missed. He was a humorous man. This world surely must be a better place for having known him. To know him made one think, made one reason, made a strive for better things.

He is now, has been, and always will be an example to me. I am so thankful and honored that Alex was my dad.        Camilla